Seoul subway workers vote for strike plan
简介The possibility of a strike became reality, as a majority of Seoul Metro union members voted for a g ...
The possibility of a strike became reality, as a majority of Seoul Metro union members voted for a general strike plan to counter staff cuts, the collective negotiation team announced Monday. As Seoul Metro operates Seoul Subway Line Nos. 1 to 8 and a portion of Line No. 9, tensions are rising over the possible inconvenience to commuters.
The collective negotiation team -- comprising representatives of the Korean Public Service and Transport Workers’ Union under the Korean Confederation of Trade Unions and the Federation of Korean Public Trade Unions under the Federation of Korean Trade Unions – said that 73.4 percent of the workers approved the strike plan. The vote took place from Thursday to Monday.
Out of 14,049 union members, 11,386 people, or 81 percent, participated, with 8,356 in favor.
Seoul Metro and the collective negotiation team had conducted 10 rounds of negotiations since the initial round on July 11, but all discussions eventually collapsed. The negotiation team applied for mediation with the Seoul National Labor Relations Commission on Oct. 4. The commission is to hold a mediation meeting Tuesday and suggest a compromise for both parties.
If the mediation meeting fails to reach an agreement, the collective negotiation team will hold a press conference warning of the possibility of a general strike at 10 a.m. on Wednesday in front of Seoul City Hall. A general meeting of union members to discuss the strike plan is scheduled for Thursday.
A workforce reduction plan is the major issue between the management and union. With Seoul Metro having suffered massive deficits for years, management contends it is inevitable to reduce manpower. The management proposed a plan to reduce 2,211 employees, or 13.5 percent of total workers, by 2026.
The labor union criticizes the management as passing responsibility for the deficit to workers, adding that excessive manpower reductions could directly lead to safety issues.
Earlier, the union held a general strike for the first time in six years against Seoul Metro's workforce reduction plan on Nov. 30, 2022.
The strike caused mass confusion, delaying trains on Seoul Subway Line No. 2 for 33 minutes. Police personnel were deployed to crowded stations to prevent possible accidents. Negotiations concluded a day after the strike as Seoul Metro promised not to conduct forced restructuring to overcome its financial crisis.
윤석열 대통령이 16일 오전 서울 용산구 대통령실 청사 앞 어린이정원에서 열린 제63차 수석비서관회의를 주재하고 있다. [사진 대통령실]“총알도 없고, 손발도 묶인 상황이다.” 1 ...
The Financial Services Commission, Korea's top financial regulator, unveiled plans on Monday to ...
Tensions are rising over the potential for a strike by Seoul Metro workers, as labor and management ...
- S. Korean diplomat discusses NK human rights with US envoy
- "당 망치는 응석받이"…안철수, 이준석 제명 서명운동 시작
- SK chief discusses ICT partnerships with Estonia, Carribean Community
- Try on traditional Korean costume during Hanbok Culture Week
- [Contribution] Why hope matters in climate crisis
- "당 망치는 응석받이"…안철수, 이준석 제명 서명운동 시작
Foreign workers' deaths get weak sanctions
[New on scene] Hong Xa
Unwind with Korea food, lifestyle docs on Netflix
New book sheds light on ongoing debate and legacy of comfort women issues
Over 1,300 rescue workers still traumatized by Itaewon Halloween tragedy
Jeonse scams cause W510b in losses, with less than 25% recovered: lawmaker
- [Our Museums] Discover wisdom of hanok at Eunpyeong History Hanok Museum
- [Today’s K
- One Store attracts W20b from Krafton
- Celltrion partners with US pharmacy chain for Yuflyma sales
- Reeling from election loss, ruling party picks new leader posts
- S.Korea's largest
- Hamas weapons, tactics resemble those of NK: JCS
- [view] 민심 더 싸늘해지는데…감동 없는 김기현 2기
- [Top Envoy] Russian satellite help not likely priority for North Korea: Chun
- Seoul subway workers vote for strike plan
- Gwanghwamun's 'woldae' to be unveiled this week after restoration
- Kia to expand EV lineup with mass market appeal
- [Today’s K
- 기세 올린 이재명 체제…이번엔 한동훈 겨냥 공세 집중
- KT & G to build new tobacco plant in Kazakhstan
- Lightsum's new album ‘Honey or Spice’ tickles tastebuds
- [Herald Interview] Indonesia's Aladin Bank CEO eyes digital banking partnerships with Korea
- S. Korea has 'no urgency' to cut key lending rate soon: IMF director
- 28th BIFF comes to an end
- Le Sserafim becomes house ambassadors for Louis Vuitton
- [Exclusive] 'Game of Thrones' publisher inks deal for Korean books for first time
- Election watchdog faces calls to apologize after failing security test
- 尹 보선 첫 반응 "선거 결과서 교훈 찾아, 지혜롭게 변화를"
- Political parties call for revision of military exemptions for athletes
- South Korean oil payments for Iran frozen again over Hamas links