[New on scene] Kim Chang
简介It’s rare for a rookie director like Kim Chang-hoon, whose debut action noir “Hopeless” hits local t ...
It’s rare for a rookie director like Kim Chang-hoon, whose debut action noir “Hopeless” hits local theaters this week, to be invited to the Cannes International Film Festival.
“(The festival took place in) a foreign country so I couldn’t really understand the feedback (I received). But just last week in Busan, I was able to meet with local audiences and hear their responses and communicate with them,” Kim told The Korea Herald in an interview in Seoul on Tuesday.
Kim and the actors from “Hopeless” attended the Busan International Film Festival which kicked off last Thursday for the Korean premiere of the film and for open talk sessions.
As the screenwriter and director of “Hopeless,” a film revolving around Yeo-kyu (Hong Sa-bin), a teenager abused by his stepfather, and his encounter with the right-hand man of a gang boss, Chi-gun (Song Joong-ki), Kim said he thought deeply about how the decisions one makes have consequences.
“When I was working on the scenario of ‘Hopeless,’ I was in a financially and mentally difficult situation. I thought about how you reap what you sow,” he said.
“I took on so many part time jobs to make ends meet while preparing for this film. I can’t even list them all because I did so many. I worked at a motel during the day and worked on my scenario while all the guests were asleep at night. Of course, it was a really difficult time, but I really appreciate it because I was able to write ‘Hopeless’ there,” he added.
South Korea is set to open its largest-ever defense exhibition Tuesday to boost exports of its lates ...
Kakao Bank, the banking arm of Korean mobile giant Kakao, announced Tuesday that it will acquire a 1 ...
DB Robotics, a first-generation robot developer in South Korea, has revealed the nation’s first hybr ...
- [Today’s K
- For esports fans, more activities await beyond LoL matches
- Four days of jazz festivities take over Jara Island
- Hyundai Motor chairman marks 3rd year of record earnings
- Hyundai Rotem to showcase new ground weapons systems at Seoul expo
- 'Frasier' returns to TV but you don't need to be a superfan of the original to laugh at its jokes
Seoul shares open higher on US gains
YG's new girl group Babymonster to debut next month
Four days of jazz festivities take over Jara Island
How college students are coping with the impact of inflation
Import prices up for 3rd month in September on higher oil prices
LG develops key OLED material to reduce reliance on imports
- Posco to build joint venture with US grain company
- SKC to build bioplastics plant in Vietnam
- [KH Explains] Lotte goes all
- Over half of Koreans want continuous strengthening of alliance with US: poll
- N. Korea scheduled to hold key parliamentary meeting following Kim
- [사진] 용산 팔도장터 찾아 떡메치기
- Hana Financial signs MOU with Saudi Arabia's EXIM bank to expand cooperation
- Govt. to survey spending on private education of preschoolers, Suneung retakers
- Breadwinners in their 60s or above double in 9 years
- [Today’s K
- Truck crash leaves 2 dead, 2 injured
- [Hello Hangeul] Korean language instructors' working conditions remain subpar
- S. Korea finishes 3rd with 42 gold medals at Hangzhou Asian Games
- Ive kicks off first world tour, 'Show What I Have'
- Chief justice nominee Lee Gyun
- 'We overcame together': NCT127 returns on more solid ground
- First lady meets haenyeo, expresses respect, gratitude
- Subway fare in greater Seoul rises to 1,400 won
- Questions remain after passage of anonymous birth bill
- TvN’s ‘Unexpected Business’ to return with season 3
- KCON Saudi Arabia 2023 attracts 23,000 K
- Performing Arts Market to link local artists to world