HD Korea Shipbuilding to build world's first ammonia
简介HD Korea Shipbuilding & Offshore Engineering, the shipbuilding unit under HD Hyundai, announced Mond ...
HD Korea Shipbuilding & Offshore Engineering, the shipbuilding unit under HD Hyundai, announced Monday that it is set to construct two of the world’s first ammonia-powered medium-sized vessels, with targeted delivery by 2026.
The company said it has decided to adopt a dual-fuel engine using both ammonia and liquefied petroleum gas for two ship orders made by Belgian shipping firm Exmas in March.
The ships, slated for construction at the Hyundai Mipo Shipyard in Ulsan, measure 45,000 cubic meters, classifying them as "medium-sized vessels" by industry standards. They will have the capability to run on ammonia and transport both ammonia and LPG.
These vessels are designed to meet environmental standards, aligning with the International Maritime Organization's carbon reduction objectives for 2030 and 2050.
Ammonia, as a fuel, offers environmental benefits. It's a carbon-neutral substance that emits no carbon dioxide when combusted. Its transport and storage advantages make it an attractive sustainable fuel alternative.
In 2020, HD Korea Shipbuilding received certification for ammonia dual-fuel engines from Britain's Lloyd's Register. The following year, the company pioneered the development of the world’s first ammonia fuel supply system.
The company has explored alternative fuels beyond ammonia. In August 2021, the firm secured an order for the world's first methanol-powered megasized container vessel. And in July this year, they launched the initial methanol-powered container ship from the Hyundai Mipo Dockyard.
Supporters of Israel took to the streets in Seoul on Tuesday, urging Hamas militants to stop their k ...
After the qualification stage for the 10-meter air pistol mixed team event ended Saturday morning he ...
South Korea will deliver US$5 million worth of fertilizer to support Ukrainian farmers in partnershi ...
오세훈, ‘TBS 폐지’ 묻자 “그런 일 생겨서는 안 돼”
[From the Scene] Whimsical circus workshop offers fun workout
Whisky imports surge 40% through August, suggesting record
Chuseok’s celestial journey: Best spots for full moon gazing in Seoul
Enjoying Halloween in Itaewon sparks debate online
NCT Dream to perform on 2023 iHeartRadio Jingle Ball Tour
- Try on traditional Korean costume during Hanbok Culture Week
- Ruling party chief clings on after election loss
- Japan thanks S. Korea for Israel rescue effort
- Gyeongbokgung entrance platform, new signboard unveiled
- 공군 수송기 급파, 한·일 220명 텔아비브 탈출
- 공군 수송기 급파, 한·일 220명 텔아비브 탈출
- BOK expected to stand pat this week over growth risks: experts
- [Herald Review] Lim Hyunsik takes fans for a musical dive into ocean
- [Obituary] Park Seo
- FSC lays out plan to boost pet insurance enrollment
- 尹 “하마스 무차별 공격 규탄”...척 슈머 등 美 상원 대표단 접견
- Chinese avant
- [Today’s K
- 218 Koreans head home from Israel: Foreign Ministry
- Art Busan's unveils galleries, theme for inaugural fair, Define Seoul
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains
- [Korean History] In 2003's Daegu, disaster plays out underground
- [HIT Forum] Sci
- Igis launches $100m secondary fund for overseas investment
- [New on scene] Kim Chang
- Aespa to return with 4th EP ‘Drama’ next month
- Pentagon chief stresses US ability to tackle 'crises in multiple theaters'
- 윤 대통령 “중동 리스크 대응, 민생에 전력 다해야”
- 판 커진 구청장 선거…민주당 크게 이겼다
- S. Korea logs current account surplus for 4th month in August
- Yoon's approval rating at 34.2% with parliamentary elections 6 months away