Over 1,300 rescue workers still traumatized by Itaewon Halloween tragedy
简介Last year's deadly crowd crush at Itaewon, Seoul claimed more than lives. Recent data showed 1,316 f ...
Last year's deadly crowd crush at Itaewon, Seoul claimed more than lives. Recent data showed 1,316 firemen dispatched at the scene are still suffering from the psychological impact of the incident.
According to the National Fire Agency data revealed by Rep. Oh Young-hwan of the main opposition Democratic Party, the rescue workers are receiving treatment for various side effects with relation to the tragedy.
The deadly incident occurred Oct. 29, 2022 when the crowd became concentrated in a small alleyway leading to the streets, resulting in 159 deaths and 196 injuries. Most of the victims were young people out to enjoy the first Halloween festivities at the popular nightlife district in the post-COVID 19 era.
“Trauma is not something that can be resolved in a short period of time. Plenty of rest and treatment is necessary,” Oh, a former fireman, was quoted as saying by local media.
He stressed that the fire authorities need to hire more staff, in order to ensure sufficient time for recovery for the traumatized rescue workers.
South Korea is currently constructing a state-run hospital devoted to physical and psychological treatment of firefighters, slated for opening in 2025. The plan was greenlit during the previous administration.
The Itaewon disaster was the deadliest crowd crush in South Korean history. Marking the one-year anniversary of the incident, the bereaved families of the victims recently announced that a set of memorials will be installed at the accident site and unveiled to the public on Oct. 26.
The bereaved families and the victims are currently calling for enactment of the bill that will launch a special investigation into Itaewon tragedy, currently pending at the National Assembly.
“Devil’s Plan,” a Netflix Korea survival game show that premiered on Sept. 26, became a global hit s ...
Seoul's Daehangno district was brimming with visitors on Sunday for the opening of "2023 Welcom ...
10·11 서울 강서구청장 보궐선거 참패로 예고된 대로 집권여당과 용산에 대한 민심이 일주일도 안 돼 싸늘해졌다. 특히 수도권 민심 이탈이 심각했다. 16일 공개된 정치 고관여층이 ...
Reeling from election loss, ruling party picks new leader posts
S. Korea, US, Japan install trilateral communication hotline amid N. Korea, China challenges
北, 러시아 외무장관 방북 발표…내달 18~19일 방문
[view] 민심 더 싸늘해지는데…감동 없는 김기현 2기
New government initiative offers W3b reward to combat digital piracy
S. Korea set to open largest
- S. Korea wins gold in League of Legends competition; Faker tops podium
- Chuseok food cost hits all
- S. Korea's drop in exports eases in Sept. on chip sales recovery
- Opposition leader proposes meeting with Yoon amid growing party feud
- The many regional flavors of songpyeon, a Korean holiday dessert
- Maestro Bychkov to debut in Korea with all
- Expressway traffic congestion persists on 2nd day of extended Chuseok holiday
- NewJeans hits 1 bln streams mark on Spotify with debut album
- N. Korea stipulates nuclear force
- Same day, different holiday: Mid
- Scholarships to begin in October for Ukrainian students in S. Korea
- Hospital visits during Chuseok cost up to 50% more
- BTS agency likely to face tougher disclosure rules
- New teachers’ manual bans recording devices in classrooms
- S. Korean fencer Oh Sang
- Intangible cultural heritage exhibitions, performances head overseas
- “김정은 두만강역 통해 귀국…조로관계 발전 새로운 장”
- [Our Museums] Gyeonggi Ceramic Museum shows artistic essence of ceramics throughout history
- Opposition leader Lee attends arrest warrant hearing at Seoul court
- Nam June Paik Art Center to be led by new director Park Nam
- N. Korean envoy vows stronger 'self
- Is S. Korea dangerous for women?
- Yoon plans state visits to UK, Netherlands later this year
- Asiana mishandled midair door
- 尹 “국민, 안보 믿음 가졌을 것”…4000명 장병 동원 행진 주관
- More seniors working but still not earning enough: data