Multinational criminal ring arrested for smuggling meth in bulk into South Korea
简介Police said Tuesday they have arrested 26 suspected members of a multinational criminal organization ...
Police said Tuesday they have arrested 26 suspected members of a multinational criminal organization and accomplices in connection with large-scale drug smuggling into South Korea.
Among them, 13 suspects, including Malaysians, Chinese and South Korean nationals, were referred to prosecutors with detention, according to Yeongdeungpo Police Station in Seoul. They plan to refer another member of the ring after further investigation.
Police and prosecutors have detained 16 of the 19 ring members identified so far, and they are tracking the people in charge of the three organizations.
The suspects are accused of smuggling 74 kilograms of methamphetamine from Malaysia to South Korea from Jan. 27 to Sept. 27, an amount that could be injected by 2.46 million people in a single dose.
This marks the second-largest distribution of meth alone, authorities said, amounting to 222 billion won (US$164 million) worth of the drug.
Police said they have collected 27.8 kg of the meth used in the crime and plan to track the remaining drugs, which they suspect are already circulating in the market.
Police suspect that groups in Malaysia, China and South Korea have taken a role of producing and smuggling the narcotics, transporting and storing them, and distributing and selling the drugs.
A total of 42 kg of meths were brought into the country by people, and the group in South Korea handed them over to their Chinese counterparts, whereas the remaining 32 kg were managed and distributed by the Malaysian group stationed in South Korea.
The narcotics were mostly sold using the so-called throwing method, in which drugs are left in a specific place, officials said.
Police set up a task force to look into the case in August, following an investigation on a suspect accused of taking drugs in July, which led to the discovery of a large-scale, multinational drug-smuggling scheme. (Yonhap)
Hyundai Rotem, a defense solutions and railway vehicles maker affiliated with Hyundai Motor Group, s ...
The performance video for Blackpink’s “How You Like That” has reached 1.5 billion views on YouTube, ...
Opposition leader Lee Jae-myung on Friday publicly proposed one-on-one talks with President Yoon Suk ...
- Hamas weapons, tactics resemble those of NK: JCS
- 2023 LoL World Championship to entertain esports fans
- 김영호 통일장관 “북러 군사 무기거래 깊이 우려…불법행위 중단하라”
- Memorials commemorating Itaewon crowd crush to be erected at accident site
- Supporters of Israel hold rally in Seoul, urge Hamas to stop atrocities
- S. Korea picks up 1st gold in roller skating
Beef prices have soared 100
With teammate's help, inconsolable shooter regroups in time to win bronze
Civic group to celebrate 70th anniversary of S. Korea
Diplomatic vehicle blessed for safety via Hindu ritual by S. Korean Embassy in India
S. Korea set to open largest
Expressway traffic congestion persists on 2nd day of extended Chuseok holiday
- Yoon appoints new defense, culture ministers without parliamentary confirmation
- [Photo News] Housing solutions in Asia
- 'Frasier' returns to TV but you don't need to be a superfan of the original to laugh at its jokes
- Satellite imagery highlights 'dramatic' increase in N. Korea
- BIFF expands award categories beyond Asian content to global titles
- YG's new girl group Babymonster to debut next month
- Seoul shares open higher on US gains; Israel
- Human rights commission urges Korea to abolish death penalty
- [Today’s K
- [Test Drive] BMW 5 Series makes more powerful, elegant comeback
- [New in Korean] Booker Prize
- BTS' V joined by Jimin in solo fan meeting 'Vicnic'
- TXT shatters records, tops charts with 3rd LP
- [New in Korean] Witches, ecofeminism, climate crisis: Tale of resilience and nature’s power
- Seoul defense exhibition aims to boost arms exports
- New book sheds light on ongoing debate and legacy of comfort women issues
- Seoul shares open lower ahead of earnings season
- 北, 러 주최 국제포럼서 '국제수송' 논의…무기거래 우회로 찾나
- HD Korea Shipbuilding to build world's first ammonia
- Enhypen announces Nov. 17 comeback with 'Orange Blood'
- 'Scent of Ink' to be performed at Kennedy Center in Washington
- SK to hold CEO meeting in Paris
- Unwind with Korea food, lifestyle docs on Netflix